Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"Waste Not, Want Not" quickie recipe 'Pizza Buns'


It is the sign of the times. We all have to be careful in our spending and one place that we actually have control over is groceries. I don't know about anyone else, but my list weekly consists of basics and add ons to what I actually have on hand at home.

I usually keep hamburger buns on hand to make a quick burger, or bq sandwich. I always, but always have a spare package in the freezer.

Of my favorite food saves is this bun pizza. I also do this with hot dog buns that have been sitting. They don't even have to be fresh and squooshy..

Been making these for years. A great way to clean out the fridge of toppings too. My bunch just actually like them plain with cheese.

A great tip, that I use, I use spaghetti sauce for the sauce. After opening the can, I pour it into a empty throw away water bottle, makes it easier to dispense and then if you think you won't use it, you can pop in the freezer for another day. Just thaw and you are ready to go.

I sometimes do this with tomato juice and then when I make chili, I pull out the ones in the freezer. Tastes the same.

Pizza Buns

Ingredients:

Spaghetti Sauce

Mozzarella Cheese or Shredded Cheddar (I have even used Velveeta before)

Leftover Buns of any type

Instructions:

Simple basic.

1) Spray cookie sheet with non- stick ( I always use foil on my pans >>me, lazy..lol)

2) Lay out buns.

3) Put on Sauce ( I sauce all the way to the edge, little kids seem to think that when the sauce stops they stop there and I really don't like to waste)

4) Put on the cheese.

5) Pop in oven at 350 for a few minutes, till melty..

Be sure to let cool a bit. I usually make this for 6 or more and they eat about 4 a piece, so keep alot on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment